Aquaponics is a synergy between plants and fish. Fish waste is turned into plant food, and plants help clean the water for the fish.
How does fish food turn into plant food? Follow the journey……
The Nitrogen Cycle
- Fish eat
- Fish poop and excrete ammonia.
- Poop decomposes and is eaten by bacteria who release ammonium compounds
- Some plants can utilize ammonia as food. But ammonia is toxic to fish!
- Bacteria (sp name) break down Ammonia into Nitrite
- Bacteria (Nitrobacter sp) break down Nitrite into Nitrate.
- Plants absorb nitrate and grow!